Art Van 2015 Charity Challenge

Heart 2 Hart Detroit is 1 of 124 organizations taking part in the Art Van Charity Challenge, a fundraising campaign launched by Art Van Furniture.

It all starts on May 18th at 12pm ET and to give back, they’ll be donating $370,000 to local organizations. The charity that raises the most during the Challenge will get a $75,000 donation to their cause. In addition, the charities that come in 2nd through 10th place will also get donations to their causes ranging from $7,500 to $65,000. The Best Part of the Challenge is that even if we don’t win one of the grand prizes, we get to keep the money we raise during the campaign. We’re ready to raise as much money as we can for our cause so we can win the $75,000 grand prize donation.

We really need your help to make it happen!

Please visit our Challenge Fundraising Page:
https://www.crowdrise.com/h2hd-artvan2015

Please share this email link on facebook and with friends and family, and help make a difference today!

Positive Progress for the Homeless in Detroit

We are thrilled to share this very positive sign of progress and hope on this difficult issue —

Residents of Detroit tent city move to housing

Christine Ferretti, The Detroit News 5:34 p.m. EST January 9, 2015

Detroit — The unofficial mayor and others residing at a makeshift tent city downtown have accepted an offer for refuge, officials confirmed Friday.

After spending seven months at the site on Jefferson, Stephon Charles Jones, the “mayor” of the tent community, agreed to a stable housing arrangement. The campers have moved to a private location within two miles of where they had been residing, said Alexis Wiley, the chief of staff for Mayor Mike Duggan.

Wiley confirmed that Jones and about 10 other campers have taken up the offer facilitated by the Neighborhood Service Organization.

News of the move comes one day after Duggan vowed to continue sending social service workers to the tents to try to move the homeless individuals into buildings. The mayor also stressed that the conditions were not safe and that the city could soon take action on the tented living quarters off east Jefferson Avenue, between Rivard and St. Aubin.

“We’re going to have to solve that,” the mayor told reporters as he toured the North American International Auto Show at Cobo Center on Thursday.

In a Friday phone interview with The News, Jones said he feels good about taking the help and that it was provided to everyone. Initially, he resisted any offers for housing.

“What basically made me change my mind is everybody got the chance to move, not just one individual,” he said. “That’s what I wanted to do.

“I feel good about it,” he said. “Nobody is out in the cold no more.”

READ THE COMPLETE ARTICLE HERE >>